09.17.2012

Wanna Lose a Few Pounds With Me?

Laurie Cole POSTED BY Laurie Cole

Need to a lose a little weight? Me, too. Wanna do it together? Introducing . . .

Get Down Glo Girls

A Glo Girl Blog Accountability Group

To help you (and me) lose 20 lbs. in 10 weeks!

Here’s the scoop:

Who? The Get Down Glo Girls group is open to all women. Invite a friend to participate with you, and you’ll receive even more encouragement and accountability!

When & Where? Every Monday on the Glo Girl Blog. Starts today; ends Monday, Nov. 19.

What? For the next 10 weeks, Get Down Glo Girls will commit to:

• Spend time with God in prayer and in the Word daily.
  • Eat healthy and keep a daily food journal 6 days a week  (day 7 is a free day not a binge day),
  • Set a daily calorie limit and record calories 6 days a week (see my P.S. below for a great online option).
  • Exercise 30 min. to 1 hr. 4-5x per week.
  • Weigh-in every Monday, and record how much weight you lose/gain in your food journal.
  • Post a comment each Monday to my Get Down Glo Girls blog article.

NOTE: Every Monday, I will post my quiet time/food/calorie/exercise journal and the amount of weight I’ve lost or gained. I may even add a few low-cal recipes and some good tips, too.

Why?

• To lose weight.
  • To gain a healthier body, mind, and spirit.
  • To give and receive encouragement.
  • To participate in an accountability group.
  • To develop a 1 Cor. 10:31 lifestyle that glorifies God:

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV

How?

The how is really up to you. You may choose to do a high-protein diet, a gluten-free diet, a Weight Watchers Points based diet, etc. The type of exercise you choose is up to you, too. Walking, running, doing exercise videos, going to the gym, etc. Whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I will be doing a regular-food diet – nothing special, just eating healthy meals and snacks, curbing my portion size, and counting calories. And as for exercise, I’ll be doing a combination of cardio (elliptical machine), light weights, and floor exercises.

I will also be limiting myself to 1200 calories per day. You need to set a calorie limit, too. But please note: Most professionals do not recommend consuming less than 1100 calories per day. See additional disclaimer below.

Ready to become a Get Down Glo Girl with me? Then here’s how to get started:

• Spend time with God in prayer and in His Word today. Offer your body to the Lord as a living sacrifice (Rom. 12:1). Commit to pursuing a 1 Cor. 10:31 lifestyle, and ask Him to fill and empower you to glorify Him in everything you eat and drink.
  • Begin your food journal today. Just keep a list of everything you eat and your calorie count. You can do this in a notebook or online (see my P.S. below for a great online source).
  • Plan your meals for the remaining week. You know what happens when you don’t have a meal plan don’t you? You end up in the drive-thru line at Whataburger that’s what. :)
  • Get a plan for your exercise, and begin working your plan. And when your flesh tells you that you’re too tired to exercise or that you need to watch TV for a just a few more minutes, remind it that “you have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do” (Rom. 8:12 NLT).
  • Post (at least) these two words as a comment today: “I’m in.” Wanna post more than just those two words? Awesome, please do!

Now for a confession: 10+ years ago, at God’s prompting and by God’s help, I lost 40 pounds. My friend, Christy, and I partnered together for one entire year, and she lost weight, too.

Christy and I kept weekly food/calorie/exercise journals, and we exchanged our lists with each other on Sundays – she took my list, and I took hers. We also had a weekly weigh-in. For one entire year, we prayed for each another, encouraged one another, and were accountable to each other. It was a glorious, God-blessed year.

Fast forward to today, and I’m ashamed to tell you that I’ve gained back 30 of those 40 pounds. But once more, God in His infinite mercy and grace is prompting me to do something about it. And I believe He wants me to do it with you (which, kinda scares me a little bit because for the next 10 weeks you’re going to find out every calorie I consume and every pound I lose — or gain – yikes!).

So, consider this my personal invitation to you to join me for Get Down Glo Girls, a 10-week/20-pound God-glorifying, accountability building, weight-loss adventure right here every Monday on the Glo Girl Blog. Can’t wait to see what He’s going to do in your life and mine over the next 10 weeks!

Your Get Down Glo Girl sister,

Ready to join our Get Down Glo Girls group? Click “comments,”and let me know you’re in!

P. S. There are tons of free calorie counters/food journals online. A great one I found is caloriescount.com. It’s free, and it includes a calorie calculator, exercise (calories burned) calculator, online food diary, diet meal plans, and more. Check it out!

Disclaimer: Before starting this or any other diet or fitness program, consult your physician. Do not start Get Down Glo Girls or any diet or fitness program if your physician or health care provider advises against it.

96 comments on “Wanna Lose a Few Pounds With Me?

Amy says:

Im in I’ve been using the Lose it ap on my I phone it’s really good

Laurie Cole says:

Awesome, Amy! And thanks so much for the iPhone tip.

Laurie Cole says:

Whoo-hoo, Lauren! Pray for me and I’ll pray for you, too.

Grannie10 says:

Good morning Laurie. Was just fixing to shut down my PC & leave my office to go run errands when this popped up. The 1st thought I had was YEA!!!!!
    But I’ve got to run…..got Deah on the line & we’re fixing to meet up. Get back to you in a short. YEA!!!!!

Laurie Cole says:

Super-duper, Deb! I’m excited!!

Kim says:

I’m In!! Thanks for the accountability and tips, can’t wait to start getting rid of the extra pounds.

Laurie Cole says:

Thank YOU for joining me! Before posting the blog today, the enemy (big liar) kept taunting me, “No one is going to want to do this with you.” He was, as always, WRONG. Blessings to you, Kim!

pat kuehn says:

I’m in..and will be praying for you…thanks for doing this!! ;)

Laurie Cole says:

You’re so welcome, Pat, and I’m praying for you, too! Love!

Beth Fisher says:

I’m in!!! I’ve lost 120 pounds in the past 2 years, by changing a lot of things, 20 more pounds would be great!

Laurie Cole says:

WOW! 120 pounds!! Beth, I’m thrilled to pieces that you’re joining us, and I’m counting on you to bring lots of encouragement, spiritual insights, and practical tips to all of us Get Down Glo Girls. It is always such a blessing hearing from you, beloved sister.

Judy says:

I’m in. It is so much more fun when you can do it with sisters in Christ! My first challenge is I am attending the True Women conference this weekend in Indy and will be eating out. Will need lots of willpower!!

Laurie Cole says:

You are going to be so blessed and encouraged this weekend at True Woman. Yes, eating out will be a challenge, but you can do it, girlfriend! I’ll be a little challenged myself this weekend — I’m speaking at a retreat in Colorado Friday-Sunday, and I have no idea what’s on the menu at the retreat center. Let’s pray for each other (and take some healthy snacks with us this weekend) okay? Love!

Christy says:

I’m in sis! Way to “get down & glo for God”! Thanks for the invite to link arms with you and the glo girls! Two “plus more” really are better than one! Ecc 4: 9-12. Love & prayers!

Laurie Cole says:

I knew you would be! Christy, I love you so much. 10 weeks, 20 pounds, to the glory of God TOgether!

Amy Sharpe says:

I’m in! I had just pulled my old Weight Watchers program out of the cabinet when I saw this post. :) I’m so glad to not have to do this alone! I’m limited to 29 daily points, but I’m not sure how many calories that equates to. ?

Amy Sharpe says:

By the way, here’s a few helpful sites that I use for planning my diet menu and staying out of a “food rut”:
    eatingwell.com
    skinnytaste.com (bonus: offers WW points calculations for each recipe)

Praying for you all! :)

Laurie Cole says:

I don’t know about points and calories either, Amy. But please don’t let that get in the way. Just do the point system and don’t worry about the calorie counting — I think the points will automatically do that for you. So happy you’re IN!

Becky Ponce says:

I’m in! I’ve been doing a little mini-workout since Sept. 1st, but I haven’t been counting calories. It’s time be all-in!

Laurie Cole says:

Amen! Welcome to Get Down Glo Girls, Becky! So proud that you’ve already got the workout going, and I’ll be praying for you as you add the calorie counting and accountability. Love to you!

Louise Nadeau Beaulieu says:

Here by the grace of God go I….as I bow my head in prayer….

Laurie Cole says:

I felt the exact, same way this morning when I posted the blog. :) God’s grace. It’s enough! Blessings to you, Louise.

Tanya says:

I’m in! I had already started this on my own this morning and happy to see you were reading my mind. I am doing the study on James at Sagemont and have already been on the treadmill. Thank you for doing this! It’s nice to have the accountability to keep us motivated.

Laurie Cole says:

God’s timing is so beautiful! I’m thrilled to have a Sagemont sister like you in the group. If we see each other at church, let’s hug! Love!

jennifer carter says:

Im in. Ive been looking for something like this thank you so much and God Bless

Laurie Cole says:

“Seek and ye shall find.” How thrilled I am that He led you here. Know of my prayers for you, Jennifer!

Kym says:

I’m In! WIll be praying for everyone – just think how cute & healthy we’ll already be by Thanksgiving! :)
    Thanks for posting this challenge – I needed that little extra push.

Laurie Cole says:

I like the way you think, Kym! And I’m praying the spiritual fruit of self-control will be so much stronger in all of our lives by Thanksgiving that we won’t gain what we’ve lost in one day. Love to you!

YES! I am totally in! I gained back 10 pounds I had lost in the spring and I have been frustrated with myself about it. I am counting calories, doing my elliptical and begging God for the grace!! Thanks, Laurie, for this encouragement to “just do it” ;)

mariel

Laurie Cole says:

You’re glo-ing good, girl! Been on the elliptical myself today, and it feels so good to head to bed knowing that I sweated off some calories today. And Mariel, you know just how I feel, don’t you? Let’s sweat off some more tomorrow!

I’m in! Although I will be doing something a little different ;) But I still need accountability! Nearly all of 2011 (after the birth of my son), I struggled with negative body image and really loathed my body. I mean, really really loathed my body :( God brought your Beauty by the Book bible study into my life through our church and God really blessed me though that. I am happy to say that I am no longer self-loathing (yay!), and I have learned to love the body that God has gifted me. I am thankful for this body!!! I have lost 60+ lbs and I am training for my first half marathon in November! While I do not have the weight to lose, I still need accountability to keep up this healthy living lifestyle! I started my blog http://www.livinghealthyforhim.com to keep myself accountable, and to share my struggles, and God has really blessed my life through that as well. I would love to join in because its great having the support and knowing you get to support and pray for others that may be going through similar struggles. Looking forward to doing this with yall!

Laurie Cole says:

Love you, Stephanie, love your testimony, and LOVE YOUR BLOG! Way to glo, girlfriend! I am so grateful to the Lord for the way He used Beauty by The Book in your life. It is a joy and blessing to welcome you to our Get Down Glo Girl group. Your blog and your story will be an encouragement to all of us throughout our 10-week adventure in accountability. Hugs to you, my sister.

Patty says:

God bless you for your encouragement and motivation! Count me in. Thank you also for the app info. I would love to hire a personal trainer, chef and join every expensive gym and program but is not an option for this stay at home Mama. I could most definately use the support and accountability.

Laurie Cole says:

So happy you’re in, Patty. And aren’t apps awesome! Just think of all the money you’re saving and pounds you’re going to be losing for FREE! Weight-loss is good, but free weight-loss is PHENOMENAL. Love!

Jacquita says:

I’m in. I use a site and mobile app sparkpeople.com for calorie and fitness calculations and journaling.

Laurie Cole says:

Bless you for sharing the app info, Jacquita. I’m thrilled that you’re IN! Praying for you, sister.

Loni G says:

I’m in and hoping to get control of this emotional eating. Thank you for sharing your journey with us and and inviting us to join you.

Laurie Cole says:

Many of us can relate to you, Loni. Thanks for your transparency about “emotional eating.” So happy you’re on board!

Ellen G says:

I’m in. Let’s get started. :-)

Laurie Cole says:

I’m ready Freddie, too! Love!

Donna Smith says:

It’s GO TIME!

Laurie Cole says:

Yes, it is! And it’s also GLO time!

susan says:

I’m in!

Lara Willingham says:

I’m in! This is perfect timing for me. Thank you so much for offering help! I need to lose about 30 pounds, too!

Lara Willingham says:

Just want to mention Spark People for keeping track of calories and a bunch of other things. It’s a wonderful website!

Margo says:

Definitely in!

Arlene says:

I’m in!

Excellent! Thanks, Arlene!!

JennyBC says:

Oh God’s timing is good! I’m in! I have been making some changes and doing some exercises but the accountability to God first and then to you ladies will be the key! I am using my fitness pal app on my phone for calories and exercise tracking. I am also doing Jillian Michaels Revolution for exercise. Trying to limit calories in general and limit on meat and dairy. Let’s go girls!!!

Laurie Cole says:

Sounds like you really got it glo-ing on, girl! In the weeks ahead, please let us in on the details about the video and other good ones you use. Thanks for joining me on this journey, Jenny!

Sandra says:

Absolutely! I’m in!! Thanks for the accountability!!!

Laurie Cole says:

You’re so welcome, Sandra. And thank YOU for being a part of our group!

I’m in!!!

Laurie Cole says:

YAY!!! Looking forward to hearing more from you next week chosenformore (love it).

Mary Magness says:

I’m in. Thanks to God for your invitation.

Laurie Cole says:

And blessings to you, Mary, for accepting. Love!

Rachiel says:

I am in.

Laurie Cole says:

Fantastic! See you right back here next week, Rachiel.

Susan says:

I’m in! :)

Laurie Cole says:

I was just about to head to bed, but then I saw your sweet smiley face. :) Right back atcha, Susan. Welcome to Get Down Glo Girl! Good-night . . .

Sue Benfield says:

Im In! I’ve needed this!

I’m In! Will be counting calories on Livestrong.com

Pam says:

I’m jumping in a day late. I will be counting calories with an app called “Lose It.” Thank you…I so need this!

Kathryn says:

Hope I am not too late…I am in and will track using my fitness pal on my phone. My goal is to use my elliptical and bike as well as weights and floor exercise. Thanks for inspiring me to get back on track!

bzertuche says:

I’m in. I’ve been praying for some thing to help me get more into the word and get healthy. Thanks.

Glenis says:

OK, I’m in…:) God appointed time for me to read this blog today…wow! Atkins diet plan with water aerobics and strength training. wow!

Vickie says:

I’m in. God’s perfect timing, because I have been praying about this too. To be Healthy; Mentally, Physically, and Spiritually and have the Support too. Thanks Laurie

Vycci says:

I’m in!

Tammy says:

I’m in. It’s funny cause I was listening to your CD a few weeks ago about how you lost weight and prayed about it.

Kim Everett says:

I am in. I need the accountabiliy. I need to lose 65 to 70 pounds. I am at 200 right now.

Lily says:

This is exciting,can’t believe how many of us were all thinking alike at the same time! I’m in,sisters!

Late start…but I’m so in!

Brenda says:

I’m in!

Monique says:

I”m in. I’m doing a whole food plant based diet. I think the calories will count themselves!

Laura Cornman says:

I’m in!!! Another FREE online source is Sparkpeople.com it’s a great site with everything you could possilby want in a weight loss site! I am excited…Let’s go girls! Better late than never!

Greeneze says:

Sorry I’m a little late joining…but…I’m here.

Ok, you don’t have to twist my arm, I am soooo in :-D

I’m past willing…and I’m ready to take action now.

I do want to lose the weight, but I never, ever, ever, want to “find” it again!

It’s not that I don’t know what to do, it’s that I take care of people for a living (almost 30 years),full time, and my ailing 86 yr old*(in Nov) Mum, and because of this, I generally am last on the list of whom to take care of, so often I neglect my own self. *I’m learning :-)

But at the same time as embarrassing as this is to say, shamefully, I sometimes don’t take my own medical advice. Uggh, I don’t feel good about that one bit. But I’m here today to change that..YooHoo

I truly would so appreciate encouragement, and any keen wisdom , and or great suggestions ,that anyone is willing to share with me to help us all be successful!

May God Bless everyone .
    I am praying for a successful , fun journey for all of us.

Sandy says:

I’m late, but I’m in!! I’m using the myfitnesspal app on my iPhone, but it’s also available online at my myfitnesspal.com It’s a great way to keep track of calories and exercise, plus you can invite friends to help hold each other accountable.

Greeneze says:

Sandy, I read your post, I will have a look at myfitnesspal app I too have an iphone.
    Does anyone know one app that seems to be “better” than another?
    someone at work mentioned Livestrong. Just wondering.
    XOXO’s to all

Sandy says:

Greeneze, I have tried Livestrong, Loseit, and myfitnesspal and so far it is my favorite. I love that you can connect with people on it to encourage each other. When I signed up here yesterday, I went to my app to record and it said I hadn’t logged in for a month. It wouldve been great if I had a friend on there who could have seen that and encouraged me to get back on track. It also has reminders you can set to remind you to record what you’ve eaten each day. You can also scan the barcodes of packages to quickly input the calorie count, as well as manually log items. If you decide to go with it, let me know and we can encourage each other there and here :)

Greeneze says:

Send ur identifier itp me privately

Tina says:

I AM IN!!!!
    THIS IS AN ANSWERED PRAYER!!

Greeneze says:

Sandy, that sounds similar to Weight watchers online tools . I will ck it out, I was down with a migraine practically all day but forced myself to go to Bible Study tonight , and g’rl , I’m glad I did. I was do blessed. He sure knows what we need when we need it. That’s one thing I love about God.
    Thank u for chatting with me, I’d love to help encourage u along. Just in case there’s another Sandy what do you want as an identifier so I’m not confusing Sandies?
    Luv in Christ
    Greeneze

Susan says:

Two lbs. down and feeling good. :)

Donna says:

Lost 3 lbs! Back on track and I weigh in with my husband each Monday!

Loretta says:

Only down 1.8 pounds since Sept 9th. . Even with a touch of food poisoing last week I thought for sure I had lost 5 or 10 pound. Guess not.
    Stomach still not back to normal.
    Geewhiz

Mary M says:

My weight keeps fluctuating but remains down 1 lb. I’ve finally put my cravings for dessert behind me. Hubby & I started walking together.

Debbie Davis says:

Wow, I just found this, have you thought of starting it again? We’d love to join in. :)

Hi, I log on to your new stuff on a regular basis.
    Your humoristic style is witty, keep it up!

youtube.com says:

You’ve made some good points there. I looked on the net to learn more about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this website.

Evonne says:

Hi my family member! I wish to say that this
    article is awesome, nice written and include almost all significant
    infos. I’d like to peer more posts like this .

It’s actually a great and helpful piece of info. I am happy that you just shared this helpful information with us.
    Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

Christy says:

Now I am ready to do my breakfast, later than having my breakfast coming yet again to read more news.

Rosaria says:

It’s hard to find educated people on this subject, however, you sound like you know what you’re talking about!
    Thanks

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
    I do not know who you are but certainly you’re going to a
    famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

hello there and thank you for your info – I’ve definitely picked up anything new from right here.
    I did however expertise a few technical points using
    this web site, since I experienced to reload the website many times previous to
    I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if
    your web host is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and could damage
    your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords.
    Anyway I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and
    could look out for much more of your respective fascinating content.
    Make sure you update this again very soon.

We always love hearing from you.